On My Radar- In my Kitchen!

Okay, so initially this was supposed to be an quick intro to a Healthy Beauty post, but it got WAY too long! So, Here is an On My Radar post, featuring some new additions to my kitchen :D

1. New Dinnerware

Since we moved to Austin, the plates/bowls we have been using were old ones Tyler had taken from his parents. They were weird tan color with this design on them, and they were those style plates that were circular but had a ridge about an inch in on the plate. There was also about FIFTEEN of each thing- large plate, small plate, freaking TEA plates.. little teacups, large teacups, bowls.. it they took over the kitchen (and you guys know I’m a kitchen gadget girl, so space is important!) and since there are only two of us, it was really unnecessary. When my mom was here, I brought all but four of everything a donation center, and finally ordered new dinnerware this week.
I don’t know why it took so long!

HBplatesThis is the set I got. It was the highest rated on Amazon, and really inexpensive for what you get. I just got them yesterday and I’m really excited, haha! I could tell Tyler was too- yesterday he decided to try making Chimichongas out of Halal Chicken & Rice he made the day before (fusion food FTW!) and he plated them all nicely and tried to make a design on the plate with the sauce, haha :)

2. Milk Frother
This is something I have been debating on getting for awhile, as it was more expensive than the dinnerware set! Awhile ago I had bought a cold milk brother so that I could be fancy like starbucks when I made my homemade caramel macchiatos (or mock-ciatos!) That little machine was cool, inexpensive, and made fancy foamy milk really quick! The only problem was that the milk was cold (and that Tyler accidentally broke the glass jar you needed for it!)
After many lukewarm coffees from using too much cold milk (That I had to reheat on the stove many times) I decided to invest in a nice milk frother. Again, to Amazon I go!

HBmilk

This baby had the best reviews, and now I TOTALLY know why! I was super hesitant to get it, as the $60 price tag was really steep for something that essentially spins and heats milk, but I figured I might as well since I drink hot coffee every morning, it’d end up being a lot less than a dollar a day (this is how I rationalize things, lol!) I’m obsessed with this thing. I put in just a little skim milk milk (maybe half a cup, probably less) and within a few minutes the thing is almost all the way full with this perfect foamy milk! The best part is that skim milk is the one that works best with this, so I don’t have to change my routine. I add it on top of my coffee (with a swirl of sugar free caramel syrup) and viola! I am drinking a perfectly good Leeshbucks drink! :)

3. Airpoped Popcorn Machine

Awhile back, I was VERRRY excited because I bought a huge, cumbersome popcorn maker. I even made a video about it on my vlog channel! I love popcorn, but it’s something I was missing since I don’t have a  microwave. Yes, I did make it on the stove, but it was always a big production. I realized soon after that this machine was probably MORE of a production, as it needed oil and had a huge top and was messy and blah blah blah.
That machine broke this past week (the little hinges that kept the base connected broke off, so it wouldn’t stay stable) So again, to Amazon!!
I decided to get an air popper as it’s more healthy, less mess, and takes up a LOT less space. It was only around $20, so I thought why not?

HBpopcornI used this popper for the first time last night, and omigosh i totally underestimated it’s badassery! I (dumbly) put in a full 1/2 cup of unpopped kernels, and turned it on. The thing sounds like a blowdryer and has a vent at the bottom that blows hot air at the popcorn, so it’s constantly moving. within probably a minute, it started to pop, and it was like a volcano of popcorn! I couldn’t stop laughing, I had to find an extra bowl because the popcorn was getting EVERYWHERE. It also popped almost all of the popcorn, there was only maybe 2 kernels left (when I used the old machine, there would be loads!)

hbpopcorn

Needless to say, I know to make like 3 tablespoons of kernels next time, haha! :)

I hope you all have a great weekend! We’re going to see Spirited Away in theaters tonight, Tyler is very excited :)

1. Erika

February 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I have those same plates, except with the black curvy line design. they don’t break…ever. I don’t know how many times I’ve dropped them.

2. caitlin

February 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm

My grandma used to have an air popper like that. She didn’t have a microwave either so I always used to make her pull the popper out. I thought it was the coolest thing as a kid.

3. Melissa

February 11, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I have that same popcorn maker and I love it. It’s fast and easy to use. We used to buy the bag popcorn at costco all the time but I hated how greasy it was and that most of the bag was left unpopped. Plus, bagged pop corn is so easy to burn and buying the kernels is so much cheaper. I usually make it and sprinkle a little bit of popcorn seasoning, that I found at walmart, on top. So so good..

4. sierra

February 11, 2012 at 7:17 pm

my family has a popper like that if you use 1/4 of a cup its enough for EVERYONE lol :)

5. joli

February 11, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Just remember to keep an eye on an air popper like that. I’m sure there have been improvements since the 80’s, but my parents had one that caught fire when I was a kid. If a kernel gets stuck somewhere it can over heat and catch fire.

6. stephanie

February 11, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I love those plates! amazon is where I got mine too, cheaper than everywhere else plus no tax. They never break and they look really fancy. I also love that you can use the small plates as dinner plates, it feels like a dinner plate but the area in the middle is still small. I actually bought the same set but the regular circle ones at target on black friday for backup and their entire small plate is the same size as just the center of the square small plate!

7. Joyce

February 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I have the exact same dinnerware set except it has black liney designs on them! I love how lightweight they are. I mean, really awesomely designed dinnerware are usually pretty hefty, and I HATE that.

Do you have to clean the milk frother right away? I usually just slowly bring milk to a boil in a small pot but don’t feel like cleaning it right away, heh.

• leesha

February 11, 2012 at 9:48 pm

one of the reasons I love this dinnerware set is the weight actually! the old plates we had were SOOOOO heavy!
      I usually clean the frother right away, or ill put it in the sink and fill with water/soap. you dont HAVE to, but i just dont want the milk to get all gross on the sides haha

8. Danish

February 12, 2012 at 12:19 am

Spirited Away is back in theaters?!

• leesha

February 12, 2012 at 12:50 am

we have a privately owned theater by us that basically plays whatever it wants.. last week they have moulin rouge sing-a-long, and the next few weeks it’s playing a bunch of movies the director of spirited away made :)

• Danish

February 12, 2012 at 3:25 pm

OMg, you are so lucky! Lol, there’s nothing like that where I live ;-;

9. Taylor

February 12, 2012 at 12:44 am

omg i love Spirited Away! gonna go and see if any theaters near me (South Jersey) have it.

10. B

February 12, 2012 at 2:14 am

There’s some controversy over whether or not the production of Halal meat is inhumane. I’d suggest you look into it and make an informed decision.

• leesha

February 12, 2012 at 3:54 am

we made it from chicken thighs lol

• Alice

February 18, 2012 at 12:37 am

Its no more inhumane then kosher meat is darling x

11. Tonni

February 12, 2012 at 3:18 am

Would you consider making a mock-ciatos video? (Or point me in the direction of one.) Would love to make my own and save some $$.

• leesha

February 12, 2012 at 3:56 am

i made a video in the past, but i do it differently now.. i have a keurig, so I make about 1 cup coffee with that and add two pumps of sugarfree torani vanilla syrup (you can get it at world market) then use my milk frother and add 1/2 cup skim milk and a packet of truvia, let that warm up, then once its done i add it to the coffee and top it with sugarfree caramel sauce. nom nom

12. Ali

February 12, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I actually work at Starbucks. I was wondering how foamy that milk frother makes the milk? Thanks to my job I’m totally addicted. Haha. :) my drink is a sugarfree vanilla soy cappachino with caramel sauce on top, it tastes like marshmallows and coffee! Yum.

13. Rolexanna Shadow

February 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Even though that milk frother does quite a very good job, it does have a rather fairly large price but for someone who drinks coffee, espressos and all that regularily it’s reasonable . However I’ve found that the Ikea £1/$1.80 hand frother froths drinks quite well too especially for someone like me who drinks coffee once in a while (: something those who wouldn’t like to spend alot on a gagdet that uses well, could consider

14. Michelle

March 27, 2012 at 10:46 am

Halal meat is healthier to eat and far better for the animal (contrare to media speculation), so its awesome that you chose that :D …btw I’m getting that popcorn maker if its available in the UK! I hate using the pan and oil way and don’t own a microwave to keep things even more healthier so that lil machine makes sense!

Thanks for sharing! :)

15. Hannah Hope

March 27, 2012 at 11:29 am

We have the same Ikea mixing bowls & milk frother. Culinary soul m8s.