So as you know, IMATS is right around the corner (literally, I’m typing this on the plane to LA right now!) I’ve been asked a lot as to what is worth checking out, what to expect, ect. Everyone will have a different experience depending on the day, time, and classes you plan to take, but here is what I have gathered from the experience.
- Be Prepared for Lines! While IMATS is a really fun experience, it is INSANELY crowded, and I have a feeling this year will be the most crowded of all. Be aware that you will probably have to wait in a ridiculous line when getting your tickets to get in to the convention center in the morning, and then even more lines inside- especially at really popular booths like Makeup Forever (I believe last year the line to shop there was around 3 hours and looped around the booth TWICE) Nyx, Crown Brush (Crown’s booth reminds me of a buffet line, so while you are standing in line for awhile, you are shopping while doing so), and I’m sure newcomers Inglot, Sugarpill, and Sigma will also be quite popular.
- Have a Plan The fact that there is a floor-plan on the IMATS website showing exactly where all the booths are is super useful. Figure out what booths you REALLY want to go to, and get them out of the way, especially if they are popular booths, because products can sell out fast!
- If possible, make a list I know that there are probably tons of brands you haven’t heard of at IMATS, and that’s great! Finding new brands is always fun and is an amazing part of the IMATS experience. If you already have a few brands in mind that you absolutely must get things from, have an idea in your head (or phone, notepad, whatever) of products you already plan to buy. The workers at each booth are extremely busy, and if you can give them a list of things you need, already prepared, it’s less work for them and much less waiting for you!
- Take pictures of EVERYTHING!! Something amazing about IMATS is practically every aisle has amazing, amazing models being painted from head to toe with inspiring body art or really creepy prosthetics (one year a guy was done up as Satan, and had stilts and everything to make him taller than the rest of the crowd. he got REALLY in to character as well, it was fun to watch!). I always get mesmerized by the models and the art and completely forget to take photos, which sucks! Don’t put your camera away if you can help it, you’ll regret it!
- Bring Cash Not all booths are able to take credit or debit cards, so it’s important to have some cash for those situations. This can also be helpful for you, because having a certain amount of cash means only spending that much (its REALLY easy to get carried away with your spending!)
- Dress Comfortably! If you plan to stay all day, it can take a toll on your feet, so make sure you’re wearing shoes that won’t wear you out too fast!
- Inglot This is the first time Inglot will be at IMATS, and while I’m very excited about that, I am already 100% sure this booth will be VERY, VERY popular. I don’t know what their show discount will be or what they will/will not have, but I’d get over there early if you can!
- Makeup Forever MUFE always has a show discount of 40%, which is why the brand is the most popular booth every year. If you want to buy from them, be prepared for a REALLY long wait. While the discount is great, I almost feel like you’re paying for it by standing in line so long (I didn’t even get to go to their booth last year because of it!)
- Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics: Lip Tars!! I love the OCC Staff, and find that every year I am hanging out by their booth. It’s like a comfort zone for me :) Also, their Airbrush foundation is my absolute MUST HAVE, if you’re into airbrushing!!
- Dinair While OCC has my favorite airbrush foundation, Dinair takes the cake for favorite airbrush machine. Their booth is always VERY interactive, and they are more than happy to sit you down and show you exactly how to use the compressor. If you’re interested in airbrushing, I definitely recommend sitting down with them and learning the basics!
- Sigma Another newcomer for IMATS, I expect their booth to be really popular as well, as they have said it will be “an interactive experience”, and they also say they have around 3,000 freebies. Might be worth stoping by for!
- Sugarpill If you have been curious about Amy, aka Shrinkle’s makeup line, you NEED to check out her booth! knowing Amy’s style, even if you already own every Sugarpill product available, the booth itself will probably be worth walking past, as I’m assuming it will be bright, glittery, and fun!
Let me know what your IMATS must-sees are, and if you are going!
Also, Suzy (MACNC40), Elessa (Pursebuzz) and I will be doing a Q&A and Giveaway at the Crown Brush Booth on Saturday between 4-5pm. Come say Hi!!