So, you may be wondering why this post has ‘001’ next to it, considering that this isn’t the first Healthy Beauty post I’ve done.
Essentially, I feel like I need to start this over. My brain is a bit haywire and I have a hard time sticking to things unless I really plan them out and have a goal in mind. Healthy Beauty is something that I really want to be diligent with, but unless I plan it out it won’t happen.
Coincidentally, same goes for my ACTUAL fitness and healthy routine!
Over the summer I have totally fallen off the healthy bandwagon in entirety. I have traveled a ton, ate a lot, hung out with friends, and partied a little too much and it’s showing- not only in my weight gain, but also in how I feel. I have put on around 7 pounds since coming home to AZ in April (although my inches still seem to be normal, so at least it isn’t really noticeable!) but more importantly than that, I just feel lousy. I miss how awesome I felt after leaving the gym, or how eating well made me feel. It really is fascinating how much better you feel after eating healthy for just even a week, and I miss that!
I know that I tried to eat healthy over the summer, but nothing stuck. I’d buy fruits and vegetables and procrastinate on eating them, and they would go bad. It was SUCH a waste. I have a serious sweet tooth, and it sort of ruins everything. Sugar is honestly like any other addiction, and I just didn’t give myself the will power to get over it. At this point I am just tired of it and really want to put my foot down and finally start feeling better all over.
I’ve also had problems with late night eating. For whatever reason (I’m assuming boredom) I won’t be hungry during the day, but want to just snack and snack and snack once its late. This is always a bad idea for me and something I really need to work on.
Today I decided that enough is enough. I’m tired of feeling sluggish and bloated. I want to eat right and feel right. I want my clothes to feel loose instead of snug, and I finally want to lose the inner tube around my waist (the only place I really gain weight, bah!).
The reason for starting to number these posts is so that I can track my progress from right now, as well as help keep myself motivated. I don’t want to miss any weeks!
As always, my biggest hurdle is always to simply start. Once I’m on track, I’m good, but I could win awards in procrastination and being healthy and working out is at the top of that list. I’ll wake up going “okay, today is the day! I’m going to work out and eat well!” and then ill get stuck on the computer, or someone will want to go get lunch, etc. I’m realizing now that You may want it, but if you make excuses, you don’t want it bad enough.
I know the changes I need to make-
- Eat cleaner, and healthier. More Veggies and fruits. Less processed-so-much-its-barely-real food.
- Pay attention to nutrition labels. It’s easy to get won over by “only 110 calories! skinny! healthy choices!” but unless you look at the ingredients, you’re honestly just kidding yourself. For example- I recently bought a pack of those Skinny Cow chocolate bars- 110 calories each. A closer look shows that they have 20% daily value of saturated fat, and contain both hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils (trans fats!) and the main ingredient is sugar. boo!!! The Fooducate App will be really helpful with this!
- WANT to work out. I want to get to the point where I actually crave going to the gym. Where my day will be totally off if I don’t go.
- Cut the sugar addiction. This will be hard. Like I said, I have a major sweet tooth. I also have a Splenda problem. It will be difficult for me to change my tastes so that I crave sugar less and don’t need artificial sweeteners (I do use Truvia, too, but if I have an iced coffee for example, it doesn’t dissolve very well, so I resort to Splenda)
- Drink, and get used to the taste, of WATER! I like to think I drink more water than a lot of people, but definitely not enough. And when I do, most of the time it has crystal light in it, which has aspartame (why diet soda is bad for you). I need to get used to just drinking water, and lots of it!
I’ve already got some plans on how to help with all that-
- MyFitnessPal App: I’ve talked about this before, but really it’s amazing. Great way to track what you eat and your calories, you can scan barcodes and it knows all the info. Also has just about every restaurant with public nutritional info.
- Fooducate App: This app brings some shocking light to the foods that you may think are good for you. I was AMAZED when my Fudge Graham Zone Bars I thought were super healthy got a C rating!
- Pinterest Fitness Category: Endless, Endless inspiration. Workouts, motivational sayings, inspirational before/after photos.. I love scrolling through this category!
- Flavored water: I got a leakproof pitcher at Costco yesterday that holds 60oz of liquid, and filled it with water, a sliced lemon, and a handful of raspberries last night. In the morning the water tasted a lot more appealing to me than just plain water, so I think that will be my new routine to try and drink more. Also, I’ll make a goal of trying to finish the whole pitcher, if not more :)
- New Shoes: The shoes you wear to work out are so so so important, and I’ve been wearing some not so great shoes. I decided to get a new pair- just ordered these on Thursday: Nike Lunarglide+ 4 Premium. They look badass!!
- NikeFuel: I also caved and bought the fuelband. I talked about in a previous post how I was using the BodyMedia band, but honestly I wasn’t a fan of how it looked and how bulky it was. plus, since it didn’t have a screen, I really wasn’t motivated to keep going with fitness because I had no idea how much I had done that day until I wasn’t wearing it anymore.
I gotta say, I’m super excited to get this. It works as a watch, calorie counter, and pedometer, and also counts “nikefuel”, which essentially is a fancy way of setting up a daily fitness goal. the little dots on the bottom show how close you are to hitting your goal for the day. I LOVE this, because if my band is at yellow in the middle, I know I’m gonna wanna push until I’ve hit my goal.
- Vlog! Last but certainly not least, I plan to Vlog about my journey every week, starting this week! I think this will be a nice way to talk about how I’m feeling, what I’m doing, and what challenges the week brought me. First Healthy Beauty video will be next week, talking about my start this week :)
Obviously, based on the fact that this post is a novel of words, I can tell that fitness and health is something that I am truly wanting to be passionate about, I just need to actually get on it. The only one holding me back is me, and I’m tired of making excuses.