Hair Dye Lifters: Color Oops & LOreal Color Zap

I have to make a video on these soon, I’m seriously AMAAAZED that I never heard about these products before, I sure could have used them in the past!

I was walking through Ulta the other day and saw this product called Color Oops that I had never seen before. Basically, it claimed that it could lift out hair dye and leave you with your natural color by shrinking color molecules or something so they just wash out without damaging your hair. Seeing as how I have been wanting to brighten up my color (and have been bleach shampooing my hair regularly so it wouldn’t damage it) I decided to get it and try it out, because what did I have to loose? Worst thing that could happen would be it didn’t work, and then I’m right where I left off.

Correct Hair Color Mistakes with Color Oops

I tried this out yesterday. You mix two products, then apply to dry hair and leave in for 20 minutes, and then rinse for like an hour (well, 15-20 mins, but thats a LONG time to rinse your hair!) and shampoo once or twice. FYI on this one: it smells. BAD. and STRONG. Day after and my bathroom still reeked. Also, you don’t get a ton of product, so if you have long or thick hair, I’d buy two (I wish I did!)

For reference, Here’s a picture of my hair before using this:

iPhoto

Still pretty dark, but the top 2 inches or so were a much brighter red, and the roots were showing through.

After using Color Oops:

iPhoto

iPhoto

It definitely helped pull the color out, as my hair was MUCH lighter (especially the top, it turned almost golden orange) but it’s nowhere near what my natural color is, so if you’re thinking its going to bring you back to that it definitely won’t. Since the rest was so dark, it made the ends a light-medium brown. Since there is an obvious color difference here, and because it wasn’t nearly as light as I wanted it, I tried for something quite a few of you recommended on Twitter: LOreal Color Zap.

l_oreal_loreal_color_zap_p21724.jpg (JPEG Image, 200x200 pixels)

Again, this is one I DEFINITELY recommend getting to bottles of if you have hair that is thick or long. I only got one and IMMENSELY regret it, as it wasn’t enough to cover all of my hair and there were a few spots on my hair that didn’t get saturated enough and were darker than the rest. This one doesn’t smell nearly as rancid as Color Oops, but more like ammonia or hair dye. This one I believe has bleach in it, because the base is a powder and it actually lightened some of my roots to WHITE because I wasn’t being careful. Anyways, this one you leave on longer depending what shade your hair is. Since mine was a medium brown, I left it on for about 40 minutes.

Here’s what it looked like after Color Zap:

iPhoto
Please ignore how frizzy my hair is in these pictures! I just blowdried it FAST to get it dry so I could dye it, and thats why it was a lion’s mane!

As you can see, that one removed the color REALLY well! And in this picture, you can see the lovely spot where I didn’t get enough of the product on, and it stayed a bit darker. AWESOME, right?

Another great thing with these products is that they’re gentle enough to allow you to dye right over your hair after using them, which is great because I really didn’t want to walk around with orange hair longer than I had to. I’ve been craving red lately, but I wanted to make it a bit more dimensional  so I added an underlayer of purple. I used LOreal Hicolor Highlights in Magenta for the red (it’s supposed to be a highlight color for over dark hair, hence why its INSANE on light hair haha) and Pravana Violet mixed with Pravana Pink for the purple.

Here’s the end result!

iPhoto

iPhoto

I might go back and make the purple layer thicker because it isn’t nearly as much as I thought it would be, and I really like the contrast. I also am debating if I wanna go over the red again with a slightly darker color. It turned out a LOT brighter than I thought it would, and I was pretty careless when applying it (I was DONE with dealing with my hair at that point, and I honestly didn’t think it would turn out as nice as it did) but we’ll see!

OMG this is probably the most in depth blog post I have ever done, hahaha. Ah well, hope this was helpful to some of you!

1. April says:

OMG, your hair ROCKS!!!! I wish I wasn’t such a chicken, I would totally do my hair like that..but I am a chicken..oh well, lol. I’ll just live with my clip-in blue pieces. :)

• Ashley Lemon says:

I use to be a scaredy cat as well… But in the end you have to remember that it is just hair! You can always dye it another color if it turns out bad. At worse you will have to walk around for a few days with a hair color you dont like…. If you dont get up the courage to try you will always regret not trying. Life it short… Live a little… but if your have really dark hair you may have to bleach it to get the blue to stay! I had a friend go blue, and I thought that she was out of her freaking mind when she told me that, but is honestly was the best I had ever seen her hair! So give it a try!

2. Elloella says:

YAY! Leesha has her red hair back again!
    This is the perfect shade for you & I love it.
    More purple would look even prettier

3. gildedangel says:

Your hair turned out amazing! I love how bright it looks, you should keep it like that for now since it will fade to a more muted color soon anyway. I wish my hair would turn out that bright when I dye it red!

4. Danielle says:

Hey! You hair turned out amazing! It makes me miss my old red hair which was maybe a shade deeper. BUT OMG LOVE LOVE IT!! Definetly enjoyed hearing about the products and how they worked!

5. Chloe says:

I know this will be said a MILLION times, but please do a tut for this eye look PLEASE!!!!!! And you will always be best as a red-head to me <3 Looks amazing!

6. Samantha says:

But, didn’t doing all that completely fry your hair? I’d love to bleach my hair but I’m scared it would all break off! It looks GREAT though!

• xsparkage says:

that’s the thing, it isn’t really bleach, it’s a hair color remover. My hair is naturally blonde, so that’s why it left it so light. I do think that the color zap has some bleach in it simply because it lightened my roots, but that just may be because its virgin hair. if I straight bleached my hair to get it to be that strawberry blonde color then yes, it would be SUPER damaging.

7. Ann-Isabel says:

Hey Leesha!
    If I bleached my hair and then added dye on it, would these products bring my hair back to blond from the bleach or will it actually bring it back to my natural color??
    Thank you!

8. Melissa says:

my hair is naturally blonde-ish and I have been coloring it black for years, only to keep me from changing color on a weekly basis :) I had to do something to control my different color every trip to the salon spree I was going through…it looks like your hair is still pretty shiny and healthy looking, please keep us updated on that, I have been looking to remove the black but no one is able/willing to do it because they insist it will fry my hair, even if I could get some of the color out and start from there I would be happy!!! This is the most amazing hair color I have ever seen!!!! xoxo

• xsparkage says:

I was reading some reviews on these and I saw a review that said it got their hair from jet black to strawberry blonde in 2 or 3 applications, so maybe if you did that and just waited a day or two in between each time (yay hats!) then it would lighten it up nicely! I would use the color zap though, as that worked much better

9. Alison Hickey says:

Can you do a tutorial on your bangs? I’ve wanted mine like that for some time now, but I can’t figure out like, how to get there? hahaha that makes no sense but I mean like how you style them and how they’re cut.

10. cec says:

your hair looks great! i can’t wait to try these products. my hair was medium brown when i started coloring it in sixth grade and now its five million shades of brown (just for the moment). i wanted to get all the boxed color out of my hair before i go red. natural looking, not completely and totally awesome red.

11. Bre says:

Hey Leesha Im a Az Phoenix girl to and i have been wanting to put blue high lights in my hair despertly but i relly dont want to have to bleach my hair and damage it but im going to have to because my hair is a super dark brown black color any suggestions please help

12. MissChelsey says:

OMG LEESHA! I feel like this is so much weight off! Like you’re back to your happy self! Lol Idk if it’s true but I LOVE it!! If the color is anything like it is in the pictures, I think you should leave it. I love your hair bright! SOOOO much better than the dark!

13. stephanie says:

i’ve never seen such an unnatural color look SO NATURAL on somebody before!

you look amazing in these red shades (i say shades b/c i’ve been watching your videos for the past year and have seen a couple of diff ones), they really suit you beautifully :)

14. Linda says:

Holy hell, chica, you’re making me miss my red hair like crazy. I KNOW you’re probably tired of people saying this, but you were made to be a fire-engine redhead. ;D

15. Irune says:

This looks great! And you look so pretty, red suits you so much!

Do you know of a similar product that is not L’Oréal? I just don’t buy or use brands that test on animals or use ingredients tested on animals. Do anyone of you know? I so want to go back to my natural medium blonde color, I miss it so much, but my hair is too dark…! Thank youuu!

16. kei says:

yayx! You look stunning! I love red hair on you! and i think you shouldn’t make it darker than this. It just looks super cool, matches you perfectly. And the contrast underneath is awesome too. Wooohooo! love it!

17. Phyrra says:

Another product you can try is ‘One n’ Only Color Fix’ which you can get from Sally’s. It doesn’t smell as bad as the two you tried here, and works better, in my experience.

I think your red and purple turned out lovely :)

18. Alyse says:

Wow what a vibrant red – that’s so hard to achieve with red hair color. It looks great! Also, I’m loving your Little Mermaid necklace!

19. Amanda says:

OMG!! You have no idea how much u just saved my life right now! I just had the biggest hair color disaster and salons were charging my 80 bucks a hour for color corrector with my 12 different shades of hair i have right now!! thanks!!

20. Annie says:

You look absolutely, absolutely, ABSOLUTELY amazing! Hair, make-up, clothes, everything!

I have to agree with everyone else – this bright red really is your thing :] So I would leave it just like that for the time being.

Pleeeeeeaase do a tutorial on that make-up by the way? I’ve tried a look similar, but it didn’t turn out the same :[

21. Nikki says:

YAY!! Somebody still shops at Hot Topic!! :D
    Haha, I work there, and everyone I talk to is always like “Ew! HT is SOOO overrated!”
    >=|

Leesha, you are my favorite person EVAR. ^__^

22. Beth says:

So you feel your hair has the same texture (or rather, for lack of a better word, “softness”) as before you used the Colour Removing products?

The reason I ask is.. my natural color is blond.. but I’ve dyed it red since I was in 8th grade (I’m a Junior in college right now).. And, recently, I’ve really wanted to go back to blond, or, at the very least, turn my hair strawberry blond.
    But, by some miracle, I’ve managed to keep my hair pretty much undamaged/soft all these years. So I’ve been leery of trying one of these colour removers before because I’ve heard they have a tendency to really strip your hair..

23. Shel says:

Too much of the color stripping can leave your hair cuticles blown so that they don’t hold ANY color. The only fix is to cut the ruined hair off. I learned the hard way after using 3-4 strips in about a 6 month period. The last 3-4 inches of my hair turned an odd grayish nasty color and when I dyed it, it would only stay in till I shampooed it once then ALL the color was gone. >_< I was very sad when my stylist explained what happened…

24. Sam says:

Wow, THIS is the Leesha we know and love! :] It looks absolutely fantastic, and even though you look gorgeous with any hair color, thiiis is what suits you the best.

25. Stephy! says:

I was wondering, does this product ruin/damadge your hair? something liek this would seem like it would compleatly kill your hair. I have black hair with blonde in it, and i wanted to dye the dark brown to an orange color. But my hair is damaged becasue i straighten it everyday, so i’m scared to do anything with it. I was going to try bleaching it, but have heard about the hair remover kits, and i thought they were just all fake and would damage my hair even more than bleach would.

26. kristi says:

the end result is AWESOME!! back to red-yessssss!!!!!!! and your eyeshadow looks great too! i wish you would do tutorials like that again: bright, unique, and eye-catching!

27. Jessica says:

That hair color has always been amazing on you!!! I have always wanted to a bright red but it always fades on me… how do you get it to stay??? (Not to mention most employers do not like extreme colors, and I am trying to find a job)

28. kaylee says:

Hello,I have a question , First of all love the hair … anyway .. I have naturally dirty blond hair and I dyed it like bleach blond and when it started to grow out and I had lots of roots I tried to dye it again but I failed and I ended up with 2 colours in my hair .. the original bleach and then the second attempt bleach and now I have roots so that makes it 3 colours.. The products that you used in your current video look simple enough but do you think they would work on me .. I want my hair to be all one colour and I’m scared to dye it but don’t want to spend crazy amounts getting it professionally done.. so if you have any suggestions it would be great . Thanks ..

kaylee

29. Lea says:

Salut Leesha

Je pense que c’était une excellente idée, le pourpre sous le rouge ! Ne le teignez pas un rouge plus foncé svp ! Je l’aime ! Le pourpre, oui je conviens, vous devrais approfondir la couleur de.